Imagine a day dedicated to just kids enjoying outdoor adventures. Learning to fish, kayak or stand up paddle board for the first time, and learning about and seeing wildlife first hand. Well, excitement is in the air and fun is in store as Walton Outdoors is hosting the Explore The Outdoors Festival on Oct. 6. The event will be held from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the beautiful waterfront location of Live Oak Landing Outdoor Destination, 229 Pitts Avenue in Freeport.
This fun-filled day is geared towards introducing children to the wonders of exploring the outdoors. Hands on activities will engage the attendees in learning and just having fun. The first 180 children interested in learning to fish will receive a free rod/reel combo from Fish Florida! So come join in. It’s going to be a great day exploring the outdoors.
The water activities are geared for children 6-years-old and up. Register upon entry for great giveaways. The event is free, and open to the public. Donations will be accepted at the door.
Activities and presentations include:
• Fishing basics and ethics with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
• Learn to cast with Bass Pro Shop fishing pro
• Fishing with Wounded Warrior Fishing Charter
• Pontoon rides along Black Creek
• Kayaking with South Walton Outfitters
• Stand up paddle boarding with YOLO Board Adventures
• Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge wildlife exhibit
• Nonie’s Ark animal encounters
• Birding in Northwest Florida with the Choctawhatchee Audubon Society
• Florida State Parks watershed and sea turtle interactive presentations
• Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance touch tank
• Smokey the Bear and his friends from Forestry
• Monarch butterfly migration tagging with naturalist Joe Wyatt
• Florida Sea Grant’s small fry fishing adventure with tips for mom and dad too
• Water safety education with Freeport Fire and Rescue
• Match the animal tracks with Emerald Coast Science Center
• Birds of prey exhibit with Lisa Miller of the E.O. Wilson Biophilia Center
• Barbecue, burgers, hotdogs and soft drinks available for purchase
• Great giveaways for the children
Many thanks to our sponsors who helped Walton Outdoors make this wonderful event possible: 331 Pool and Beach Supply, Kindness Pet Hospital, For The Health of It Natural Food Store, Kiwanis Club of Freeport/South Walton, Fish Florida, The Alys Foundation, Gulf Coast Insulation, Jane Burns/Edward Jones Investments, Copy Systems, Nonie’s Ark Animal Encounters, Copeland’s Gun and Tackle Shop and Freeport Fire and Rescue.
Walton Outdoors is the online source for outdoor adventure in Walton County and surrounding area. Their mission is to educate and share information about great places to explore along with promoting outdoor family oriented events. For more information about Explore The Outdoors Festival, go to: www.waltonoutdoors.com/explorefest or call (850) 267-2064.