A man was critically injured Wednesday when an e-cigarette exploded in his mouth, according to a press release from the South Walton Fire District.



Emergency personnel responded to a report of a male patient with "significant facial trauama" in the Miramar Beach area.



Responders performed advanced lifesaving measures and transported the injured man to Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast. After further investigation, it was discovered the man had been smoking an e-cigarette when it exploded in his mouth.



The man was listed in critical condition Wednesday and was transported by medical helicopter to an advanced care facility, according to the release. His current condition is unknown.



The "SWFD would like to remind everyone that according to the Food and Drug Administration e-cigarettes have not been fully studied and the types of dangers that exist are uncertain."



For more information regarding e-cigarettes please visit: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm172906.htm.