Tax return preparation
For 45 years AARP has provided free tax assistance, return preparation and filing for low to middle income families and individuals. Although the program gives special attention to seniors, there is no age criterion and AARP membership is not required.
Walton County free TaxAide will start the first week of February and continue until April 15. If you are a shut-in or in a nursing home and need a counselor to come to you, leave a message at any of the sites and you will be contacted. Please bring the following information with you: last year’s return, social security card, picture ID, real estate taxes paid on your home and all tax documents that you have received such as W-2’s, 1099’s and social security.
Below is a list of the locations and schedule for each. Call for appointment.
• Thursdays: Walton County Council on Aging, 1145 W. Baldwin Ave., DeFuniak Springs, 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Call 892-8165.
• Mondays: Life Enrichment Senior Center, 312 College Ave., DeFuniak Springs, 12-4 p.m. Call 892-8746.
• Thursdays: Freeport Library, 76 W. Hwy. 20, 10 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Call 835-2040.
•Monday: Northwest Florida State College- South Walton Center, 109 Greenway Trail, Santa Rosa Beach, 1-6 p.m. Call 200-4160.
• Tuesday Northwest Florida State College - South Walton Center, 109 Greenway Trail, Santa Rosa Beach, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Call 200-4160
• Saturday, as required: North Walton Library, Gladis Milton Memorial, 108 Flowersview Blvd., Flowersview. Call 834-5383.
There is an immediate need of food/cash for the Paxton Backpack Buddies program through the end of January. This weekly delivery of food is currently serving 20 needy children in the Paxton area. There is also a long-term goal of establishing a sponsor(s) for this program.
Please contact Ricki McWilliams at 892-8172 or email@example.com if you or someone you know is interested in donating for the immediate or long terms needs of this program.
Food or cash may be donated at the Walton County Extension office in DeFuniak Springs in the Walton County Fair Grounds parking lot.
Call to artists
Entries for the Cultural Arts Alliance A+ Art Committee’s annual juried show, “Top of the Class,” must be submitted by Feb. 5. The show, presented by the Cultural Arts Alliance of Walton County in partnership with Northwest Florida State College, awards monetary prizes for the winning pieces of art. Artists may submit up to two entries of original art. The "Top of Class" show juror will be artist and art educator Linda Hall of Tallahassee, Fla.
More information about the application process, including art size and other requirements will be available at www.culturalartsalliance.com/aplusartdetails.