SEACREST — A three-story home on Trigger Trail sustained substantial damage from a fire late Thursday.

According to Fire Marshal Sammy Sanchez, the South Walton Fire Department responded to the blaze at 10:30 p.m. Firefighters reported the third floor was engulfed in flames when they arrived. 

The owner and another resident were able to escape the blaze, but the owner was taken to Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast for smoke inhalation. 

The home, valued at about $750,000, sustained smoke and water damage on the first and second floor. The third floor was a total loss, according to Sanchez.

Following a joint investigation with the Florida State Fire Marshal's Office, Sanchez said the fire was likely started by a tipped candle on the third floor.