The South Walton Fire District (SWFD) received a call at 5:30 p.m. reporting smoke and flames coming from an unoccupied unit at the Adagio Condo located at 2421 W. County Highway 30A.

Within minutes of receiving the initial 9-1-1 call, crews arrived on scene and found a 4th floor unit filling with smoke, according to a press release from the SWFD.

SWFD crews were able to gain entry and quickly confine and extinguish the fire coming from the kitchen. An investigation by the SWFD Fire Marshal was conducted and the fire was deemed accidental.

The occupants were not present during the fire. No injuries were reported and the property was turned back over to the occupants. Damages were estimated to be between $10,000-$15,000.

This a great reminder to always ensure heat producing appliances such as stoves/ovens, dryers, portable heaters etc. are off before leaving your home... even if it's just for a few minutes.