FREEPORT — A Freeport man was taken to a burn center after he suffered first- and second-degree burns in an explosion on his boat Wednesday night.

A 911 call just before 8:30 p.m. dispatched Walton County Fire Rescue crews to the Freeport Marina and Yacht Club, according to a press release from Walton County Fire Rescue.

When firefighters and paramedics arrived they immediately began treating the boat owner’s burns. The man said he was siphoning gasoline out of a generator that was still hot on his boat, which was tied up to a channel marker in the middle of LaGrange Bayou, according to the press release. He spilt some gas down the front of his legs and onto the hot generator, which caused the explosion.

The man said he tried to retrieve a fire extinguisher but quickly realized the blaze was too much for him to handle. He manaaged to escape through the boat's scuttle hatch and was taken to land by a kayaker, the press release said.

The patient, who was not identified, was taken by medical helicopter to a burn center.

A flag was placed over the sunken boat to warn boaters of the wreckage.