MOSSY HEAD— Walton County firefighters worked quickly to knock down flames threatening to consume a family’s home in Mossy Head on New Year’s Eve, according to a press release from the Walton County Sheriff’s Office.

Firefighters with Walton County Fire Rescue and Liberty Volunteer Fire Department, responded to a structure fire on Elmwood Road at 2:20 a.m. Walton County Sheriff’s Office deputies also responded.

A resident said she woke up to heat in her bedroom and noticed a small fire had started in her room. She quickly ran and notified her family to get out of the home and called 911, the release said.

First responders arrived to find flames coming from the left side of the home.

Firefighters were able to contain the flames before they fully engulfed the home. All residents made it out of the home unharmed, however, the family dog died from smoke inhalation, the release said.

The fire was caused by an electrical issue with a space heater in one of the bedrooms, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Walton County Fire Rescue would like to remind everyone that this is the time of year to be especially cautious when using space heaters.

"Never leave a space heater unattended. Make sure heaters are placed at least three feet away from anything that can burn and turn them off when you are leaving a room or going to sleep," the release said.