After crews performed a search of the burned structure, they found two dogs deceased inside the home.
DEFUNIAK SPRINGS — Walton County firefighters knocked down a fire that broke out in a mobile home in DeFuniak Springs late Saturday night, officials say.
At 10:50 p.m. on Feb. 15, 2020, Walton County Fire Rescue, Liberty Volunteer Fire Department, and the Walton County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to a home on East Roberts Road about a structure fire.
Firefighters and deputies arrived to find heavy smoke and flames quickly engulfing a single-wide mobile home.
A resident told first responders that all occupants were out of the home but two dogs were still trapped inside.
Firefighters quickly began battling the blaze and had the fire under control in just 11 minutes. Unfortunately, after crews performed a search of the burned structure, they found the two dogs deceased inside the home.
The fire was caused by an electrical issue with a space heater in the living room.
The American Red Cross was contacted to provide aid to the residents of the damaged home.