What’s open & what’s not? - A list of closures and what is still open
This content is being provided for free as a public service to our readers during the coronavirus outbreak. Please support local journalism by subscribing to the Northwest Florida Daily News.
HAVE A NOTICE TO ADD?
Email Erin Franczak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following is a list of area events, venues, services and more that have closed, postponed or otherwise adjusted hours and availability because of concerns about public health.
– As of March 19, Walton County and Okaloosa County voted to close all public beaches.
– Seaside, a commercial area, will close March 21 at noon until April 30. Beginning Monday March 16, Seaside closed beach accesses in its commercial district. Effective immediately, all Spring event programming is suspended.
– Navarre beaches, parks and the pier were OPEN as of March 17.
– Florida State Parks: All events, activities, special event reservations, pavilion rentals and camping reservations have been canceled, but most parks will remain OPEN from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Beginning Friday, March 20, campgrounds and all overnight accommodations will be fully closed.
– The Gulf Islands National Seashores will be canceling all ranger led programs and special use permits with 10 or more people. The Fort Barrancas Area including the forts and visitor center, The Naval Live Oaks Exhibit Area at park headquarters, The Fort Pickens Discovery Center and Bookstore, and the restrooms in Clusters A & E at Opal Beach will be closed.
– All Eglin Beach property will be closed as of March 20.
– Aly’s Beach amenities and outlets will be closed as of March 20.
– All Florida bars and nightclubs will be shutdown for 30 days, and restaurants will be restricted to half-capacity as of March 17.
– BBVA bank will be using drive-through as its primary method of operation. Banking lobbies will be closed to walk-in traffic, except for scheduled appointments. BBVA banks without a drive-through will be open on a limited basis.
– Planet Fitness has normal business hours - “Team members conduct regular and thorough cleaning of all equipment, surfaces, and areas of the club and gym floor using disinfectant cleaning supplies. In addition, they regularly complete overnight cleaning of the facility.” - Planet Fitness FB page
– Saltwater Restaurants: The Boathouse Landing, The Crab Trap, Surf Hut, Al’s Beach Club Burger Bar, The Boardwalk, Floyd’s Shrimp House, Rocking Tacos, Nick’s Boathouse, and Blackstone Golf Course are open.
— Pepper’s Mexican Grill - Because many schools will remain closed during the pandemic, the Pepper’s Mexican Grill locations in Shalimar and Crestview started offering free lunches to children Monday March 16, 2020.
– Gold’s Gym will remain open.
– Goofy Golf will remain open.
– Joe and Eddies Family Restaurant will remain open.
– The Emerald Coast Science Center is currently open, but it is taking things day-by-day.
– Move it Storage at 950 Airport Road, Destin, FL 32541 is open Monday – Friday 9am to 6pm.
– Juana’s/ Sailors’ Grill are sorry to have to announce that, effective immediately, we will be closing the entire business. This includes Juana’s Pagodas, Sailors’ Grill, Schooner Bar, Juana Bites, Juana Shop, beach rentals, volleyball leagues, and all other activities associated with their business.
– AJ’s on the Bayou, AJ’s Oyster Shanty, AJ’s on the Destin Harbor, and AJ’s Grayton Beach are all open as of march 17.
– The Emerald Coast Zoo is open for regular business hours as of March 17.
– Parsons’s BBQ 6 Walter Martin Rd will remain open. The dining room is open and will be able remain that way due to the stringent sanitizing practices already in place. They are also offering online ordering and To Go www.parsonsbbq.com.
– Spring Flea, Florida’s Longest Yard Sale, is officially cancelled, citing Corona Virus precautions. All efforts will now focus on the upcoming Fall Flea event, Sept 11th & 12th.
– The Heritage Museum of Northwest Florida is closed as of March 17.
– The Emerald Coast franchisee of Tijuana Flats, Brian Burger, has decided to close the Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach dining rooms to follow state of Florida guidelines today. The restaurant will still have takeout and delivery.
– CareerSource Okaloosa Walton said all group workshops, training events, and mobile unit outreach sessions are postponed until further notice.
– Crestview Lodge #2624 will be closed until March 31st.
– Zaxby's service will be limited to the drive-thru only.
– Victoria's Secret stores in Fort Walton Beach and Destin are closed until March 30.
– All Cox retail stores will have reduced hours. Stores will be open Monday through Friday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. Retail stores will be closed on Saturdays and Sundays.
– Stress Busters Massage will remain open as of March 17.
– The Gulfarium closed as of March 19.
– Destin Commons will be shortened their hours of operation. They will be open Monday through Saturday from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
– Sears Hometown Store in Niceville is open Mon - Sat 9am to 6pm.
– The Arts & Design Society will be closed temporarily beginning March 17 and will remain closed through the end of the month. All classes, events and programs scheduled through April 1 have been canceled or postponed.
– Kitty Hawk Kites has decided to cancel the Spring Kite Festival scheduled for April 4 and April 5 in Fort Walton Beach. Kitty Hawk Kites will continue to operate under normal business hours for all Florida retail locations.
– 790 on the Gulf in Destin is open. They are doing dine-in and carryout service while complying with the capacity mandate. They are open 7 days a week from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. They will remain fully operational until told to do otherwise.
Alternative Health Food Store is open for curbside pickup as of March 20.
– The Republican Women of Okaloosa Federated canceled its April meeting.
– Baptist Health Care asks that family members and friends not visit loved ones in the hospital or outpatient care areas, but to communicate with them by mobile device, phone, FaceTime or Skype as of March 18.
– The Panhandle Animal Welfare Society will be closing its low-cost clinic through April 7. Previous appointments will be rescheduled. Owners who wish to surrender their pets are strongly encouraged to wait until April 8.
– Alaqua Rescue Foundation will be closing its properties until the end of March. The rescue still plans to schedule adoptions online only and work on promoting adoptions virtually and via social media.
– Destin Charity Wine Auction Foundation postponed the 15th Annual Destin Charity Wine Auction until August 21-22.
– Sharing and Caring will remain open with shorter hours and curbside service. They will not be doing pharmacy vouchers for the next two weeks or until further notice.
– Shelter House will remain open, but the facility will be reducing the number of beds available and encouraging people to communicate with their advocates on the phone.
– Habitat for Humanity’s administrative offices in Walton County will be closed until further notice.Their staff will be working remotely. The Restore facility will limiting its hours to Tuesday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
– Matrix Community Outreach Center will be closing the Redemption Boutique from Tuesday March 17 to Monday March 23. The Matrix Service Center office will be closed until further notice.The Matrix Center will be working to provided existing students of the Generation Next Kids Program and their families with food boxes to help with evening meals throughout the week.
Thanks you Destin for the hospitality! It was amazing and beautiful. We will definitely be back . from r/Destin CHURCHES
– Crosspoint is suspending its weekend worship services at its physical campuses, as well as all Sunday activities for the March 21/22.
– Beachside Community Center will be holding their services online, but the offices will remain open.
– Mary Esther United Methodist Church canceled its services for this week and next week.
– Hope on the Beach said its Egg Drop Palooza that was scheduled for April 4th has been canceled for this year.
– The Laurel Hill Presbyterian Church will have its traditional 9 a.m. Sunday morning services via a Facebook live-stream. Having a small congregation, the church leadership voted to continue holding services as usual.
– Local Episcopal Churches have suspended in-person worship and gatherings until Easter Sunday.
– Grace Destin will remain open for scheduled worship services 9:30 a.m. Sundays and 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays. The March 18 Wednesday Supper is canceled.
– Youth Village will remain closed until further notice.
– Boys & Girls Clubs of the Emerald Coast in Escambia, Okaloosa and Walton Counties will remain closed until further notice.
– La Petite Academy of Niceville is open pending any decisions from the Florida Department of Health.
– Grow With Us Learning Academy is currently open.
– The Wright Day Care is currently open.
– Children’s Center is currently open.
– Creative Play School is open.
– Our Little Schoolhouse is open, but the center said if a student has any kind of illness including allergies, that student will be sent home. The center was also cleaned.
– First Baptist Child Development Center will remain open. The center said it is keeping everything clean.
— Shoal River Learning Center will be closed due to spring break, but the daycare center will remain open. The center said it bleached everything.
Destin - City of Destin is canceling Monday March 16 executive session at 5:30 p.m. and the regular city council meeting slated for 6 p.m. at the Destin City Hall Annex, located at 4100 Indian Bayou Trail. The City is also suspending activities through Monday, March 30th, 2020, at the following facilities:
-Destin Community Center
-Morgan Sports Center
-Buck Destin Park
Destin Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors postponed all meetings and functions scheduled through April 30. The Chamber Golf Tournament, scheduled for April 16, is postponed until mid- to late-May.
City Hall and City Hall Annex remain OPEN to the public, but the city strongly encourages residents to contact city departments through phone, email or online submissions.
Niceville - The City of Niceville closed its Children’s Park, community center, library and senior center pending further notice.
Fort Walton Beach- Fort Walton Beach will be closing the recreation center, library and museum until March 30 pending updates and direction from the Florida Department of Health. The city has canceled its city council meetings scheduled for March 24, March 31 and April 14, as well as all volunteer board/committee meetings scheduled through April 14.
The Citizens Police Academy scheduled to begin on April 6 has been postponed until further notice.
Crestview-Crestview has opted to close the Twin Hills Park Gym, Bob Sikes Library Allen Park Community Center and the senior center until March 30 pending further updates.
Milton: The Milton community center is closed until further notice.
– Okaloosa County Board of Commissioners are revoking permits for events on the beach and in parks after March 22 nd until the end of April. The board will not issue new permits until further notice.Water and Sewer office lobbies will be closed after Friday, March 20. The drive thru window, online bill pay, drop off and mail in methods will remain open. All workshops will be canceled until further notice. The Destin-Fort Walton Beach Convention Center is closed for events after March 17 until the end of April.
– The county is suspending all county board and committee meetings for the next 30 days. This does not include the board of county commissioners. Regular bid and procurement meetings will continue as scheduled.
– Okaloosa County Tax Collector- Effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020 all Okaloosa County Tax Collector Office lobby locations will be closed to the public until further advised. While office locations will be closed to the public, customers can continue to process transactions online at OkaloosaTax.com, by phone at 850-651-7300, and through the mail.
Defuniak Springs: Defuniak Springs declared a state of emergency. With that, the city said it is canceling all permits for outdoor events until further notice, suspending of renting all city facilities until declared otherwise. They are also canceling the Monday, March 23, City Council meeting and suspending all volunteer city board and committee meetings until May 1.
Pace: Pace Chamber of Commerce closed its office to walk-in visitors, and canceled all March events and meetings.
Santa Rosa County
All restrooms at county parks are closed until further notice.
– The Act4Mystery performance scheduled for this Saturday night, March 21, at the Shalimar Pointe Golf Club in Shalimar, has been cancelled. It is tentatively being rescheduled for May 16.
— Purses with a Purpose Shelter House’s 10th Annual Purses with a Purpose has been moved to May 14-16. All other details such as times, location, etc will all remain the same. “While there is no threat of the virus in Walton county at this time, we felt this was the prudent decision to make, simply as a precaution,” according to a release from event planners.
— Columbus ships, the Nina and the Pinta will be canceling the rest of the Fort Walton Beach stay. Monday March 16, 2020 is the last day to visit.
— The Enchanted Forest: A Choose Your Own Adventure Opera, originally scheduled for March 24 at 6 p.m. at the Destin Library, has been canceled.
— Hamfest 2020 has been canceled by the Playground Amateur Radio Club. It was due to be held at the fairgrounds on March 20-21. E-mail email@example.com.
– The Navarre Garden Club’s Spring Fling Scheduled for March 20 was canceled. Tickets are refundable.
– The International Festival at the Landing scheduled for March 22 has been postponed and will be rescheduled.
– The Genealogical Society of Okaloosa County canceled its Saturday March 28 meeting
– Z96 suspended its Z96 Prom Dress Campaign pending decisions by the schools about holding prom. Z96 will still be taking names and phone numbers of those who may need a prom dress to contact them at that time about scheduling an appointment.
– The Okaloosa County Driver’s License Clinic, previously scheduled for Friday, April 3 at the Okaloosa County Courthouse Annex Extension in Ft. Walton Beach, has been rescheduled for Friday, August 28.
– The City of DeFuniak Springs canceled Marvel of Flight 2020, scheduled for March 27, 28, due to concerns related to the corona virus outbreak.
– The Seabreeze Jazz Festival, scheduled for April 22-26 in Panama City Beach, will be postponed until April 21-25, 2021.
– The Triple B Festival scheduled for March 28 will be postponed.
– The Totally Awesome 80’s prom will be postponed.
– The public meeting concerning the State Road 20 from Cat Mar Road in Okaloosa County to east of S.R. 79 in Washington County Project Development & Environment Study in Walton County previously scheduled for Tuesday, April 7 at the Destiny Worship Center in Freeport has been postponed to a later date.
– The "Spring into the New Decade with Florida's Great Northwest Business Meeting & Networking Reception" on March 31st at Northwest Florida State College will be postponed until further notice.
– The Emerald Coast Theater Company will be closed through March 31.
– The Santa Rosa Community Remembrance Project Coalition Community Conversations for March 26 has been canceled.
– The Run for Health of It has been rescheduled to 10/10.
– One Hopeful Place will be postponing The Stewart Houston golf tournament. Their facilitities will remain open.
– The 2020 SandJam Presented by Pepsi has been canceled. There are no plans to reschedule at this time.
– Stage Crafters has decided to cancel the last weekend of the production of “Thoroughly Modern Millie.”
– The Crisis Aid for Littles and Moms, CALM, 4th annual fundraiser event, has been postponed from April 4th to a future date TBD.
– The Chair of the Florida Commission on Ethics has cancelled the April 17th Commission meeting. The next meeting currently is scheduled for June 5th
– The 2020 Walk for Mommy & Me, sponsored by the Florida Department of Health in Santa Rosa County WIC office, scheduled for April 4 has been canceled.
– Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation will POSTPONE the April 23rd and April 30th Concerts in the Village.
– Henna and airbrush are still available at Fudpuckers and Destin as of March 19.
– Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Paris Resort, will close beginning at the close of business on Sunday, March 15, through the end of the month.
– Universal Orlando Resort will temporarily close its theme parks at the close of business on Sunday, March 15. A statement on the resort’s web site said they anticipate remaining closed through the end of March – but will continue to evaluate the situation.
– The National Naval Aviation Museum will be closed to ALL visitors effective Monday, March 16.
– All United States Tennis Association Florida League adult programs and events are suspending all operation effective immediately through April 20, 2020. This includes all USTA Florida local league matches, tournaments, wheelchair events and tournaments, tennis on campus events, sectional events, social events, and Love to Learn and Play beginner programs.”
Okaloosa - The Okaloosa County School District issued a statement that it would extend spring break. Students will not return to school before March 30.
Santa Rosa - Santa Rosa Schools will close March 23rd through March 27th in response to the COVID-19, virus. Additionally, all extracurricular activities including athletics (practice or play) are canceled for the next two weeks beginning March 14th. Employees should remain in contact with your school or department during the spring break to receive updates. Employees should also plan on reporting to work on March 23rd, however this is subject to change, according to the District.
Walton - the Walton County School District is now closed for students from now until Monday, March 30, 2020. More information will follow including guidance for employees the week of March 23-27, extra-curricular activities, testing, and SPICE, according to the District.
Bay - Bay District Schools will be closed the week of March 16-20 and the following week 23-27 per the DOE, according to the District.
Northwest Florida State College: Northwest Florida State College will be closed through the week of March 16 (Spring Break) and the week of March 23 in response to recommendations from numerous local, state, and federal officials and agencies . This suspension applies to all classes (online, hybrid, and traditional) as well as clinicals. At this time, the College intends to reopen on Monday, March 30, 2020. Further communication about operations beginning March 30 will be provided to students and employees by Thursday, March 26, 2020.
Santa Rosa County - Veterans Services will continue to provide services at the South Service Center, 5841 Gulf Breeze Parkway in Gulf Breeze. Clients may drop off paperwork and request a call or appointment as necessary. All other offices at this location are closed until further notice.