SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ for the first month
SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ for the first month

Space heater ignites house fire

special to the Daily News
Walton Sun

DeFUNIAK SPRINGS — Firefighters responded to a house fire on Millard Gainey Road early Friday after a family woke up to smoke in their home that started from a space heater.

At 3:23 a.m., the Walton County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call at 3:23 a.m. from the family, according to a press release from the Walton County Sheriff’s Office.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the back left corner of the house.The blaze was under control in less than 10 minutes, the press release said.

No one was injured and firefighters were able to save the structure from being destroyed. However, the house did sustain quite a bit of smoke damage.

The fire was caused by an electrical short in the bathroom wall where a small space heater was plugged in to a power outlet, the release said.