Coronavirus: DeSantis announces no new cases, requests $25M in funding
Gov. Ron DeSantis has asked the Florida Legislature for $25 million to respond to novel coronavirus for supplies and personnel for case monitoring, he said Friday in Naples.
Out of more than $8 billion in federal funding that Congress approved and President Trump signed Friday, the state should get a sizable amount.
“We think we will get a minimum of $27 million, maybe more,” he said during a media briefing.
DeSantis said there still has not been any cases of community transmission in Florida. Five hospital workers who had contact with a Manatee County man who was positive for COVID-19 have tested negative.
"The risk here remains low," DeSantis said.
So far the state has not seen a shortage of testing kits and he expects a batch coming in shortly.
“We have not been overwhelmed with requests for testing,” he said.
DeSantis said private laboratories run by LabCorp and Quest Diagnostics are due to start testing shortly, he said.
“Having the private sector involved will help with capacity,” he said.
This story will be updated.
This story originally published to naplesnews.com, and was shared to other Florida newspapers in the new Gannett Media network.