Showdown 39 capsule: What you need to know
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: WEEK 5
SHOWDOWN 39: FORT PIERCE CENTRAL (1-2)
VS. FORT PIERCE WESTWOOD (3-1)
Kickoff: 10 a.m. Saturday, Calvin Triplett Field at Lawnwood Stadium, 1602 Virginia Ave., Fort Pierce.
Rankings: None (Fort Pierce Westwood received three votes in Class 5A in the latest Associated Press state poll
Last game: Fort Pierce Central lost to Martin County 25-0 two weeks ago; Fort Pierce Westwood defeated South Fork 30-0
Series: Fort Pierce Central leads 21-17
Last meeting: 2017 (Fort Pierce Westwood won 34-20)
- The game is being played on a Saturday morning for the second consecutive season. It is the only regularly scheduled Saturday game involving a Treasure Coast team this season.
- Fort Pierce Westwood has won three consecutive games after a season-opening loss to undefeated Class 8A St. Lucie West Centennial. Fort Pierce Central has dropped two in a row after an opening win at Lyman.
- The Cobras have scored only three touchdowns on offense in three games. That's one more than the defense. Trenton Surloff had a fumble return for a touchdown in the opener while Jernord Kirkland had a 40-yard interception return for a TD against South Fork.
- Twelve players have scored touchdowns in Westwood's first four games. Quarterback Coy Gray has accounted for nine touchdowns (seven passing, two running).
- The Panthers are 3-0 when they score a defensive TD. James Gardner had an 83-yard interception return against Port St. Lucie, Emanuel Thorpe had a 35-yard interception return against Jupiter and Josh Haugabook had a 21-yard fumble return against South Fork.
- Fort Pierce Westwood is 6 of 13 on 2-point conversions, but 6 of 9 the past two weeks.
- Central was idle last week.
- The Cobras are trying to avoid their second consecutive 1-3 start.