Football: Scores and notes from the semifinal round of the FHSAA playoffs
(1) Seminole 18, (5) Lake Mary 7
(3) Apopka 34, (2) Bartram Trail 3
Notable: Seminole and Apopka. Here we go again. Seminole rallied in the fourth quarter of the state semifinal last year to win at Apopka. This regional final will be at Seminole.
(1) Palm Beach Central 28, (5) Vero Beach 21
(2) Treasure Coast 51, (3) Boone 19
Notable: Markel King scored three rushing touchdowns for undefeated Central, including a 65-yard score midway through the fourth quarter for the game-winner.
(1) Venice 56, (5) Riverview 14
(2) West Orange 16, (6) Osceola 7
Notable: West Orange's defense took center stage in this rematch of a District 9 game, which the Warriors also won. West Orange came up with several stops late and added a scoop and score in the final seconds.
(5) Columbus 27, (1) Western 8
(2) Palmetto 27, (3) Deerfield Beach 14
Notable: It's time for round 3 of Palmetto-Columbus. Palmetto won the District 16 match 7-3 on Sept. 24 and Columbus won a 10-7 game on Oct. 29.
(1) Buchholz 39, (5) University 7
(7) Nease 24, (3) Niceville 19
Notable: Just take a minute to appreciate what Nease coach Collin Drafts has done. The Panthers have wins over Spruce Creek and Niceville this postseason. That matches the total number of wins Nease had during the 2019 and 2020 seasons combined.
(4) Lake Gibson 32, (1) Edgewater 14
(3) Melbourne 36, (2) Martin County 7
Notable: Lake Gibson started the season 2-3 but that seems like a distance memory now. Lake Gibson has won six in a row and beat Lakeland (No. 1 RPI in the region) and Edgewater (No. 1 seed) the past two weeks.
(1) Tampa Bay Tech 26, (4) Palmetto 18
(6) Wharton36, (2) Lehigh 0
Notable: Another district rematch in the regional championship. Undefeated Tampa Bay Tech beat Wharton 21-12 on Oct. 22. Wharton led 12-0 in the first quarter but the Titans rallied by scoring one touchdown in each of the final three quarters.
(1) St. Thomas Aquinas 42, (4) Miramar 14
(2) Homestead 28, (6) Dillard 14
Notable: Homestead spoiled the expected Aquinas-Dillard rematch. The Broncos, which have won 10 in a row, never trailed and scored the game's final 14 points in the second half.
(1) Pine Forest 32, (5) Riverside 12
(2) Mosley 31, (6) Lincoln 28
Notable: Isaac Paul had a 45-yard interception return for a touchdown late in the fourth quarter, which proved to be the game-winning score. Lincoln had the ball in the final minute, but Mosley's defense came up wit the stop.
(1) Vanguard 24, (5) Lake Wales 13
(3) Jones 43, (2) Auburndale 7
Notable: Vanguard blew open a tie game with 17 consecutive points in the fourth quarter. Fred Gaskin threw a touchdown pass and Elijah Hopkins scored on a pick-six in the fourth.
(1) Jesuit 49, (5) Braden River 9
(7) Hillsborough 28, (3) Sumner 7
Notable: Hillsborough heads into the regional championship on an eight-game win streak. The last loss? That would be a 28-7 loss at Jesuit on Sept. 17. Jesuit jumped out to a 28-0 lead in the third quarter in that game.
(8) Plantation 42, (4) Coconut Creek 7
(3) Northwestern 49, (2) Naples 35
Notable: Plantation might be the lowest seed in the region but it is in the final after scoring 44 points against previously-undefeated Dunbar and 42 against Coconut Creek. The Colonels now take on perennial power Northwestern in the regional final.
(1) Baker County 13, (5) West Florida 10
(3) Wakulla 32, (2) Raines 27
Notable: Jamarian Baker scored a long rushing touchdown and Carlos Jefferson added a defensive touchdown as Baker County build a 13-0 lead in the first quarter and held on for the win.
(1) Merritt Island 21, (5) Rockledge 6
(6) Satellite 28, (7) Bishop Moore 14
Notable: Merritt Island and Satellite will meet in a rematch of the District 8 game, which Merritt Island won 20-7 on Oct. 29. In that game, Merritt Island snapped a scoreless tie with 10 points in the third quarter and went on for the win.
(1) Clearwater 40, (5) Nature Coast Tech 14
(3) Sebring 29, (7) Gibbs 0
Notable: Clearwater will play in the first regional final in program history. The Tornadoes put this one away early, scoring 33 points in the first half and cruising to the semifinal win against Nature Coast Tech.
(1) Killian 37, (5) Stranahan 0
(3) Central 41, (2) American Heritage 28
Notable: Central rebounded from an early 21-6 hole to beat American Heritage in a matchup of two teams that won state titles in 2020. The Rockets scored five consecutive touchdowns and got a pair of second-half receiving scores from Joshisa Trader in the win.
(1) South Walton 42, (4) Baldwin 28
(2) Bolles 27, (6) Gadsden County 6
Notable: Kade Frew scored two first half touchdowns and Kavon Miller returned the second half kickoff 95 yards as the Bulldogs built a 21-0 lead and went on to the win. Bolles will travel to top-seeded South Walton next week.
(1) Cocoa 41, (4) South Sumter 0
(2) Villages Charter 34, (3) Keystone Heights 6
Notable: Cocoa and Villages Charter seemingly have been on a collision course all year. Cocoa finished the regular season No. 1 in Class 4A in the USA Today Florida network poll; Villages Charter is undefeated with only three games decided by less than 25 points.
(1) Lakewood 27, (5) Glades Central 12
(3) Clewiston 42, (2) Lemon Bay 28
Notable: Previously-undefeated Lemon Bay scored on its opening drive, but Clewiston took control after that. The Tigers led 21-7 in the second quarter and led by at least two scores for most of the second half.
(1) Gulliver Prep 43, (4) Booker T. Washington 0
(2) Cardinal Gibbons 42, (6) Pine Crest 0
Notable: Cardinal Gibbons vs. Gulliver Prep. It's another matchup that's been expected since the preseason. Gibbons, the defending Class 4A state champion, beat Gulliver Prep 29-7 in the postseason in 2020.
(1) Trinity Catholic 35, (4) P.K. Yonge 7
(3) Florida High 55, (2) Walton 7
Notable: Trinity Catholic dropped its first two games of the season, but the Celtics have won seven in a row. That included the regional semifinal when Trinity Catholic jumped out to a 35-0 lead against P.K. Yonge.
(1) Lakeland Christian 10, (4) Frostproof 3
(2) Benjamin 55, (3) First Academy 24
Notable: Undefeated Lakeland Christian won a defensive battle against Frostproof. The Vikings trailed 3-0 at the half but tied the game early in the third quarter and got the game-winning score from Dre Hudson following a blocked punt early in the fourth quarter.
(1) Berkeley Prep 38, (4) Bishop Verot 0
(2) Clearwater Central Catholic 31, (6) Tampa Catholic 7
Notable: The regional final will be a rematch of the season opener, which Berkeley Prep won 35-21. Clearwater Central Catholic is one of only three teams to score three times against Berkeley Prep this season.
(1) Chaminade-Madonna 45, (4) Edison 0
(3) Cardinal Newman 42, (2) Florida Christian 7
Notable: Cardinal Newman, which has won nine games in coach Jack Daniels' first season, will travel to Chaminade-Madonna in the regional final. The last time these two met in the postseason was 2016 when Chaminade beat Cardinal Newman 42-0.
(1) Trinity Christian 44, (4) St. John Paul II 7
(2) Munroe 36, (3) University Christian 23
Notable: Munroe trailed 23-14 in the fourth quarter, but scored 22 unanswered points to earn a spot in the regional championship. It is the first postseason win in Munroe's program history.
(1) Orlando Christian 47, (4) Holy Trinity Episcopal 12
(2) Zephyrhills Christian 24, (6) Victory Christian 16
Notable: The regional final will be a rematch of the season finale, which Orlando Christian won 15-12. The difference in that game was a pair of failed two-point conversion attempts by Zephyrhills and an Orlando Christian safety in the second half.
(1) First Baptist 43, (4) Seffner Christian 0
(2) Northside Christian 32, (3) Community School of Naples 27
Notable: Northside Christian had a big second half to overcome a 21-7 deficit. The Mustangs scored 13 points in the third quarter and added 12 in the fourth quarter to get the win.
(5) John Carroll Catholic 35, (1) Avant Garde 0
(2) Champagnat Catholic 35, (3) Glades Day 7
Notable: John Carroll Catholic trailed No. 4 seed True North Classical 21-13 at halftime of the regional quarterfinal. Since then, the Golden Rams have outscored their opponents 63-0 including an impressive shutout at top-ranked Avant Garde.
(1) Baker 46, (4) Northview 35
(2) Chipley 40, (3) Holmes County 14
Notable: Baker won the first meeting with Northview in overtime and the rematch did not disappoint. The Gators had three players — Kayleb Wagner, Brandon Moss and Ryan Fleming — rush for more than 100 yards in the win.
(1) Blountstown 42, (4) Liberty County 0
(3) Madison County 45, (2) Port St. Joe 6
Notable: Blountstown and Madison County will meet in the regional final after handily taking care of business in the regional semifinals. Both teams played challenging regular season schedules to prepare for the playoffs.
(1) Chiefland 28, (4) Lafayette 27
(3) Union County 52, (2) Hilliard 14
Notable: Chiefland's Dakota Fisher scored a rushing touchdown in the first overtime and then Chiefland's defense stopped a two-point conversion attempt to win the regional semifinal and advance to play Union County in the final.
(1) Hathorne 50, (4) Wildwood 14
(2) Pahokee 38, (3) Bradford 20
Notable: Pahokee led by seven at the half and took control of the game in the second half. The last time these two met in the playoffs, Pahokee won 28-14 in 2019.